Sunday, October 25, 2009

All Thumbs Down: Dinner Impossible

Robert Irvine and Dinner Impossible,

To be fair, I came in midway through an episode wherein you tried to cater a party at some elaborate candy shop - the first episode I have tried to finish to the end, instead of merely changing the channel.

What I saw was a host of culinary catastrophes: tempura-ed chocolate bars, macaroni and cheese with (I think) candy corn, some sort of risotto with chocolate, sunflower seeds and improbably frozen scallops... a nightmare for diabetics and people with any sense of taste, alike.

It's the sort of thing that makes me really question how Food Network finds its stars, where the niche market for most of its shows has seemed to migrate from gastronomic enthusiasts to frat boy douche-bags that really just want to see a lot of meat being bbq'ed. The fact that Guy Fieri is now the all around Food Network wonderboy makes sense if the network seems wrecklessly ambitious in turning the channel into some post-apocalyptic nightmare.

In any case, I'm assuming that the mere fact that your team could cook for that many people makes you more qualified to judge matters of food with better acuity than I, but if you think that sogginess is your biggest problem with tempura battered chocolate bars, then sir, you are plainly fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment